Allen Institute


Actively seeking passionate people

At the Allen Institute, we’re fulfilling Paul Allen’s enduring quest to push the limits of human exploration by unlocking the knowledge inside each of us. Our scientific divisions work in thoughtfully calibrated teams that continually find new ways past convention, while measuring ourselves against clear goals and metrics.  


Our teams are diverse, curious, innovative and passionate about science.
Join us to help make a global impact.

Explore Careers


Our Culture

We have a unique culture that blends the best of academia, scientific research and technology.

Learn More


We believe that a healthy, balanced life helps our staff do great work.

Learn More

Living in Seattle

Seattle is one of the most desirable cities in which to live and work.

Learn more

News at the Allen Institute

  • All
  • Brain Science
  • Cell Science
  • Frontiers Group
  • Immunology


Hodgkin lymphoma recruits and trains immune cells to help it thrive

January 14, 2020

Study also highlights possible new targets for treatment, how to better tailor cancer therapies for individual patients


A visual year in review: 13 highlights from the Allen Institute in 2019

December 18, 2019

A look back on the year’s major moments in neuroscience, cell biology, immunology and the frontiers of bioscience 


These visual neurons don’t work the way scientists thought, study finds

December 16, 2019

Less than 10% of neurons in the mouse visual system behave the way scientists thought most such cells work to perceive the outside world. What the other 90% are doing is far from clear.


News from the Allen Institute for Brain Science: December 2019

December 11, 2019

Highlights include a new high-resolution map of how the brain is wired, a new Data Stories, mouse neurons unique to male or female brains, and more.


These small proteins reveal a new kind of brain diversity

December 5, 2019

Endorphins and other neuropeptides vary widely between brain cell types and point to new possible targets for psychiatric drugs, study finds


2019 Annual Report: Unlocking the mysteries of us

December 3, 2019

At the Allen Institute, we're bringing our unique approach to bear on human biology.


Data Stories | How bird brains help us understand our own

December 2, 2019

Erich Jarvis studies how vocal learning evolves. Allen Institute resources are helping him connect the dots from bird song to human speech. 


News from the Allen Institute: November 2019

November 22, 2019

What's new at the Allen Institute? Highlights include a melanoma survivor’s journey, an epilepsy patient who donated his brain tissue, a new cell biology method, and more.


News from the Allen Institute for Immunology: November 2019

November 13, 2019

Highlights include a patients journey with melanoma, a feature on Immunology director Peter Skene, a Q&A with the Allen Institute for Immunology's first employee, and more.


Peter Skene | Transforming outcomes for patients

November 13, 2019

See how Peter Skene, director of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at the Allen Institute for Immunology is working to transform outcomes for patients.


Out of Balance | Maria’s journey with melanoma

November 11, 2019

A fortuitous event led to an early diagnosis. Ten years later, her cancer journey is not over.


News from The Paul G. Allen Frontiers Group: November 2019

November 7, 2019

Highlights include newly awarded Allen Distinguished Investigators, a DREAM Challenge on developmental lineage, research on brain-intestine circadian signals, and more.


4 takeaways from 2019’s largest neuroscience meeting

October 29, 2019

More than 27,000 brain scientists gathered at SfN to share their latest and greatest research findings. Here are a few among many standouts.


News from the Allen Institute for Cell Science: October 2019

October 29, 2019

Highlights include a new method developed to make more realistic computer graphics, a Cell Method tutorial, upcoming events, and more.


How Hollywood’s latest animation technique is shedding new light on cell biology

October 28, 2019

A method developed to make more realistic computer graphics now forms the backbone of new 3D cell visualization tool


Scientists find mouse neurons that are unique to male or female brains

October 17, 2019

Study linking behaviors with cells in an ancient section of the brain also pinpointed a neuron tied to social fear


News from the Allen Institute for Brain Science: October 2019

October 16, 2019

Highlights include new findings that could explain why many psychiatric drugs don't work in human trials, newly released Neuropixels data, three collaborative Openscope projects and more.

Oh No!

Sorry, something went wrong.

We were unable to retrieve any items.

[[error.type]] - [[error.msg]]



Try selecting a different filter.