The Allen Institute’s internship program is an intensive summer experience designed to provide mentorship and research experience for associate, undergraduate, and master’s students who are interested in bioscience.
2021 Allen Institute Summer Internships
- We have closed the application window for our 2021 Summer Internships.
- 2022 Summer Internships will be open in December 2021.
- We occasionally offer internships in our scientific and administrative business units posted on a rolling basis.
You are welcome to check our careers page for opportunities:
Areas of Research
- Modeling, Analysis and Theory
- Neural Coding
- Human Cell Types
- Informatics and Data Science
- Experimental Immunology
- Flow Cytometry
- Currently enrolled in an accredited associate, undergraduate, or master's program.
- 2021 graduates of an accredited associate, undergraduate, or master's program will be considered.
- Must be able to start either June 7th or June 21st, 2021 and commit to the full 10-week internship time period.
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. for the program duration.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
In addition to working with scientists across the Institute, interns will have the opportunity to participate in fun activities and workshops, attend scientific lectures, and present their work at the end of the internship period.
Interns will receive $16.69 per hour.
Housing is not provided as a part of the internship program. Interns are responsible for finding their own housing.
Interns will be provided with an ORCA card (Seattle transportation card) free of charge for the duration of their internship.
How to Apply
- Complete an application through the career portals below. We have internships available in two business units: Brain Science and Immunology.
- The application will ask you to submit a resume and a personal statement addressing the following three topics in no more than 400 words:
- Your interest in the Allen Institute.
- Your interest in this internship role specifically.
- The skills, education, experience, and/or training that you will bring to this role.
- We may reach out to you requesting additional documentation such as:
- College transcript with Cumulative GPA and Courses taken (we accept unofficial & official transcripts)
- Letter of recommendation by a university official.
- The application deadline is January 19th, 2021 at 11PM Pacific Standard Time.
Can I apply to more than one internship position?
Yes, you can apply to multiple internship openings. You will need to fill out a separate application for each position.
Will I receive a confirmation my application was received?
Our recruiting system (Clear Company) will generate an automated response confirming receipt of your application.
When we will I contacted for an interview?
The application deadline is January 19th, 2021 at 11PM Pacific Standard Time. Should you be selected for next steps, you will be contacted by a hiring manager or mentor for an interview. The estimated timeframe for interview requests will be from the date you applied and March 31, 2021.
What is the interview process like?
You will be contacted by the mentor or a team member for a phone interview. You should expect to have phone or video interviews with both the mentor and members of the team. At this time in-person interviews are not required as part of the selection process.
Do interns receive benefits?
Interns will accrue paid sick days and receive a free Seattle transportation card (ORCA Business Passport).
Do you provide visa or immigration assistance?
At this time interns must hold valid authorization to work in the U.S. for the program duration. Allen Institute will not provide sponsorship for this program.
Do you provide relocation assistance?
We are unable to offer relocation assistance at this time.
Due to the large number of applicants and inquiries, we will be unable to respond to individual inquiries about the status of their application. The Allen Institute main phone number will not be routed to the Recruiting Team. Should you be selected for an interview, a team member will reach out to you directly using the contact details you submit in your application.
How will the program be affected by COVID-19?
Depending on the status of the COVID-19 epidemic, and our focus on employee safety, Allen Institute may require these internships to work in Washington State remotely or onsite. Some roles may be modified to support remote work or be cancelled entirely as indicated in the job posting.
We continue to evaluate the safest options for our employees as restrictions are lifted in relation to COVID-19.
I am in a Master's Program. Can I apply for an internship?
Yes, this program is open students in accredited associate, undergraduate, or master’s programs.
I will graduate from my educational program in May/June of 2021. Can I still apply for an internship?
Yes, 2021 graduates of an accredited associate, undergraduate, or master’s program will be considered.
Does the Allen Institute offer internship opportunities other than summer internships?
Yes, we occasionally offer internships in our scientific and administrative business units posted on a rolling basis. Those roles are not referenced on this Internships Page. This page is specific to our summer internship program. You are welcome to check our Careers Page for opportunities and we recommend following us on social media for updates.