Expanding Minds: Travel & Accommodations
615 Westlake Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109
Expanding Minds will be held at the Allen Institute, a 270,000-square-foot life sciences building, located at the northwest corner of Mercer St. and Westlake Ave. North in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle. The building is purpose-built for life science research and facilitates our trademark team science approach amid abundant natural light and with stunning views of Seattle.
Getting to Seattle
The Seattle-Tacoma International airport is the closest airport to the Institute, about a 30-minute drive from South Lake Union. From the airport, there are many options for getting to downtown Seattle and the Institute, including Link Light Rail, taxis or Uber/Lyft app-based ride shares, or Shuttle Express. For the most up to date and comprehensive information on getting around Seattle refer to the Visit Seattle Getting Around Website.
Group rate: If you had already booked a room used the group rate at EVEN Hotels Seattle - South Lake Union, please contact the hotel directly to cancel your reservation.
Listed below are additional hotels located within 5 minutes walking distance of the Institute.
- 1119 Mercer Street - 5 minute walk east of Institute
- 527 Fairview Ave N - 6 minute walk east of Institute
- 925 Westlake Ave N - 5 minute walk north of Institute
Attractions/Things to Do
- Space Needle / Chihuly Garden and Glass: The Needle recently underwent a $100M renovation and is worth a look. Dale Chihuly's namesake glass art museum next door is also impressive. Tickets to both can be bundled for a discount.
- Museum of Pop Culture: Catch the latest exhibit at this unique museum dedicated to music, science fiction, and pop culture. Take a ride on the Seattle Center Monorail to get a closer look at the Frank Gehry-designed building.
- Pike Place Market: The heart and soul of Seattle, complete with flying fish, fresh produce and beautiful bouquets of flowers, only a 30 minute walk from the Institute in downtown Seattle.
- Kayak or paddleboard on Lake Union: Soak in skyline views, watch seaplanes take off and land and paddle past Seattle’s famous floating homes. Rentals available at Northwest Outdoor Center on Westlake Ave (20 min walk) or Moss Bay on Fairview Ave (12 min walk).
- Deadline for abstract submission for selected talks: January 15, 2020
- Selected speakers notified by organizing committee: Week of January 27, 2020
- Deadline for abstract submission for posters: February 17, 2020
- Poster presenters notified by organizing committee: Week of February 24, 2020
- Registration deadline: POSTPONED - Date to be determined
- Conference: POSTPONED - Date to be determined