The mission of the Allen Institute for Cell Science is to create dynamic and multi-scale visual models of cell organization, dynamics and activities that capture experimental observation, theory and prediction to understand and predict cellular behavior in its normal, regenerative, and pathological contexts.
Our vision is to create new directions and opportunities in cell science through mission-oriented, large-scale, multi-disciplinary team science. We want to better explain and predict the behaviors of cells, whether healthy or diseased. Our first project is to understand how the parts of the cells integrate to determine diverse cellular behaviors as revealed through 3D live cell imaging, creating a dynamic and animated virtual model of the cell.
- Excellence: expect it from yourself and your colleagues; each and every day doing your job better than it has been done before.
- Commitment and passion: show ambition, persistence, and determination in all of your activities.
- Focus: work from your core strengths and center, with a clear understanding of the path ahead.
- Respect and integrity: help people be the best at what they do best, respecting their unique perspective and expertise, keeping a high ethical standard
- Open science: sharing creates a virtuous cycle of empowerment and accomplishment for both the scientific community and the Institute.
- Team science: multiple, diverse perspectives and expertise empowers great and innovative science.
- Be ambitious and dream big, but stay focused, doing only a few things, but doing them exceptionally well.
- You can make great discoveries without wearing a suit.
- Great discoveries lurk everywhere; keep your eyes open.
- Work hard but have fun and be a little quirky.
- Success begins by choosing important problems, coming to fruition with great planning and great execution.
- Individuals and teams can do amazing things when they share the credit.
Our Core Principles
Our multidisciplinary teams embrace a collaborative and communicative style, offering unique perspectives and diverse experience to the scientific challenges we face.
We tackle large-scale, ambitious projects that yield incredibly rich, robust data. We integrate this data with sophisticated technology so that it can be readily shared with the global scientific community for exploration, investigation and analysis.
Our goal is to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery and nurture medical breakthrough, so we free our research to the world.